Friday, October 30, 2009

Revisionist History

It’s been 22 days since I first got here and freaked out after my IPOD touch went missing. On that day I thought I could stay here maybe 2 weeks at most. As the power went out for days at a time, as I woke up over and over in the middle of the night covered with the little bugs that make it through the mosquito net-I wondered how I was going to make it. Humor and lots of emails from the US is what helped me make it. I never realized how much of an impact the blog would have - so many people I don’t even know have contacted me to say they have been reading it and wishing me luck. To be honest with you, I felt more like a documentarian here than a doctor. I just had to soak in and understand what was going on around me so I didn’t go completely bonkers.



On 10-29, at 8am east coast time I will be on a flight back to Nairobi where I will be staying at a tent hostel called the Wildebeest. From there I leave Nairobi for the Massai Mara which is, in many native Kenyans opinions the most beautiful part of Kenya. It’s filled with lions, elephants, hippos, rhinos , giraffes and everything you can want-all getting killed and eaten-and I will capture it all in glorious 1080p high-def. Picture Planet Earth but with my goofy commentary as a wildebeest is chewed up by lions.

After that, I return back to the US, but the fun and the life of the Kenya blog WILL NOT STOP THEN! I literally have a list of topics to cover still on my computer! Also, remember how I said I would be arrested if I brought a camera to Kisumu? I went ahead and did it anyway and went to all the same places I went last time, taking over 100 photos while dodging bullets like Neo. These photos will be used to enhance already existing entries.

Also I have shot HOURS of awesome videos. Want to see a Vervet monkey dance? Want to see me teach the Orphans to sing? Want to see me teach a whole class of 8th graders about HIV and anarchy? Want to see actual improv comedy monologues I made while I waited at the airport? Wait until I get back! I have over 17gb of pics and videos to sort through and edit and upload to streaming video sites and you’ll see it FIRST on the Medical MacGuyver blog. I almost feel bad at how little of the story is just in the text - you have to have the pics and videos to get the whole thing and it’s coming! Keep the blog bookmarked and check it frequently.

I’m going to have radio silence while I am on safari, but will be back in Memphis Nov 2nd. Want to know the first thing I do when I get back to the states? I guess you’ll have to keep checking the blog!

Oh yeah, and you’ll get more swahili translations!

Hard lessons in Swahili-Thumper get away from that man in the white apron! NOOOOOOO!

Nyama ya sungura ni nyororo na tamu

Rabbit meat is tender and sweet (that rhymes!)

3 comments:

  1. Have a great time on your Safari! We can't wait to see you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I was in Eldoret, Kenya earlier this year for the commissioning of a water purification treatment. Nice to hear from someone who had more time to spend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of that will be really neat to see. Please do put everything else up as this has been one of the seminal reads of my life, guy.

    ReplyDelete