Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Greatest Translation Book of All Time

Boredom can set in quickly when you are locked in at night. Luckily, we have a few things here to keep us occupied when we do get bored, including a shelf full of various books and if we get so desperate that we are about to gouge each other’s eyes out for entertainment - there’s Scrabble.

On this book shelf, I found a children’s book for teaching them English, but it works to teach Swahili as well. It’s only 40 pages in length and just contains commonly used phrases. Some of the phrases it includes are completely indicative of the culture and I feel obliged to share some phrases with you with every journal posting I do. It’s even better than “Jack’s Body”-“I am Jack’s colon, I help him have bowel movements but can also become cancer”. Hope you find it just as enjoyable as I did.


This is the actual book.


Harsh Lesson #1-Counting

Watu millioni moja walikufa

Translation: one million people died

Pesa Zake Ziliibwa

Traslation: His money was stolen.






Look for more Swahili lessons with EVERY journal post!


No comments:

Post a Comment