Friday, December 4, 2009

Stinging in the rain

Another interesting phenomenon occurs when there is damage the cervical spinal cord at levels C3,C4, and C5. Instead of chorea like dancing this time causing spontanous diaphragmatic impulses resulting in unintelligible but patterned sounds to be bellowed out without consistant tone or pitch but with some sort of underlying repition. This medical condition was initially discovered by Japanese researches and named after the Japanese word meaning "to sing" which is "karaoke"

Here are some affected patients


While I was in Kenya-I suffered from an unfortunate Panga injury to my cervical spine-causing spasms of the nerves which innervate my diaphragm forcing me to have recurring belches that resemble something like singing. My condition seemed to be triggered by humidity because whenever it would rain-I would sing! (Gene Kelly suffered from a similar condition). So when I felt it come on, I would try to sing traditional African songs until the spasms stopped. Since few people here know these traditional African songs, I don't expect you to recognize them but have fun watching me sufffer!







1 comment:

  1. Wow. There are no words (other than awwwwww for when you sang to me, of course).

    ReplyDelete